Busy times at Presence! That’s why we started looking for new colleagues. During the past few weeks, no less than four new top talents started! Let’s meet Alexandra and Claude, our new project managers for multilingual meetings, and Darlene and Nadia, our new project managers for multilingual meetings & events.
Ladies, nice to meet you all, could you tell us a bit more about yourself?
- Nadia: I would describe myself as a world citizen with a curious mind, passionate about social issues and international relations. I’m half Moroccan and half Dutch and have spent the biggest part of my career in the Middle-East and Asia working for Marketing Research Firms and Advertising Agencies. Born and raised in Maastricht, I returned to my hometown a few years ago together with my husband Masih and 2 children (Milo of 8 years old and Stella who’s 2 years old). Our cat Pippa makes the family complete. I’m a big fan of crime series and love to cook and bake. In my spare time I like going onlong walks, reading a good book and spending time with family & friends.
- Darlene: I was born in the United States of America in the city Richmond Virginia. When I was eleven years old my family moved to the Netherlands, so I had to learn the Dutch language and culture. I felt home quickly and moved around in several cities within the Netherlands. I am married and have 2 kids. I studied Facility & Event management and have been working as a recruiter for several years.After that I always worked in the Event sector for corporate and private events. Small and large events all over the world; meetings, weddings, exhibitions, seminars, fashion and music events, employee parties.. You name it. I loved doing it all. I love traveling, music, sports and my babies….two Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs.
- Alexandra: I'm a Belgian girl from Verviers. As a sociable and creative person, I chose to study Communications. Before I started working at Presence, I worked for non-profit associations. I also volunteer for Relay For Life (in Brussels and Verviers). I like being socially engaged. Actually, I'm a "touche à tout" girl. I like doing a lot of things. One of my hobbies is photography. I like the way I feel when I take pictures. I like searching for details and catching them in a picture. Otherwise I play the saxophone and the piano, I like drawing, gardening and cooking. In brief, I love life.
- Claude: I lived all around the world, which gives me a very open minded way of looking at life in general. I am a girl from planet Earth, mother of 3, lover and fierce fighter. I also like to study and write essays. I earned a Master’s degree in Event Management and I am currently studying for a Master’s in Education as teaching (French and Spanish). My background in event management is in the music festival and concert industry.
What distinguishes you from the rest? What is “typically you”?
- Darlene: Hahaha, I think I would have to ask my friends and family.
- Alexandra: I know by heart the birth dates, phone numbers, blood groups from all of my family members.
- Claude: I change the colour of my hair more often than a hairdresser would dream of and I am covered with tattoos.
- Nadia: I always read magazines and books from the back (reverse). Especially when I’m reading thrillers I always like to read over to the last pages before going back to the beginning of the story. I somehow feel relieved when I read the spoiler beforehand and can leisurely read the rest of the book. I am still wondering what the psychology behind this is, hahaha.
What do you hope to accomplish after three years at Presence?
- Claude: I’m looking forward to learning more about the world of interpreters and translators.
- Alexandra: I wish I can contribute to the development of the company. I hope I can bring people together and facilitate human exchanges, particularly in the context of worklife.
- Nadia: I hope that in three years the Event Department has grown considerably. As the event sector will continue to develop and more events will take place online or in a hybrid form, we can offer our clients customized solutions for their events, based on their wishes and needs. I’m also looking forward to getting to learn more about the industry of translators and multilingual meetings and events. As someone who is completely new to this concept, it’s really interesting to find out the many elements involved and how complex it can be.
- Darlene: I also look forward to growing together with Presence and I believe that there is a lot more to come our way. Especially within the event sector as Nadia said.
To round this up, tell me: what is your favorite motivational quote?
- Nadia: "Don’t wait for an opportunity. Create it!"
You can create the opportunity for almost anything with the right attitude and the right thinking. Therefore infuse your life with action.
- Darlene: “Challenge yourself. It’s the only path which leads to growth” (Morgan Freeman)
- Alexandra: “Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change” (Stephen Hawking)
Everything is changing. If we can't do anything about that we can adapt ourselves; we have to; we need to.
Claude: “Not all those who wander are lost” (Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland)
This quote represents me! Because if you have no fixed abode it does not necessarily mean you are without purpose.
Another favourite one is: “She stood in the storm and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails” (Elizabeth Edwards)
This one is about resilience and the fact that no matter what is thrown at you in life, you can always accept your new reality and try to put together something that will be good.
These are great quotes to round off this conversation! Thank you ladies!